Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Home Defense Shotgun

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have decided that a single pistol is not adequate as my home defense arsenal by itself. So I've decided to add a tactical shotgun to the mix.

Any defense weapon you choose MUST be reliable, be it a pistol, rifle or shotgun. When the moment comes and you pull that trigger, you want the firearm to go BANG! If it doesn't, you might as well have throw the weapon at the assailant. So I wanted a shotgun that is known to be uber reliable. I chose the Remington 870 Tactical Express pump shotgun as the core of my defense shotgun system. It's renowned recognition as THE shotgun of law enforcement agencies around the country cannot be ignored. That fact was enough reason for me. If it's good enough for people who's lives can depend on them day in and day out then it's good enough for me!

But I'm not going to leave it as is out of the box. I'm going to replace and add a few parts to enhance the weapon's usefulness. First off, the stock with Blackhawk's Specops Stock. Shortening the length of pull up and eliminating most of the recoil from that 12-gauge sounds like the right move to me! I'm also going to replace the forearm with a Surefire forearm with the built-in weapon light and add a shotshell holder from Mesa Tactical along the left side of the receiver. I may replace the sights but I want to try the stock sights first.

So that's it! My choice for a home defense shotgun in the months to come. I'll post photos as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment