Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Reality and Narrowing the List


OK, no more beating around the bush. At this time, I can't afford to have a specialized gun for every application. My firearm purchases, of which there will only be one in January, must be practical in that the chosen firearm much fulfill as many rolls as possible. So my recent research has focused on finding a weapon that can adequately fill the following needs:
  • Home Defense
  • Personal (Concealed) Defense
  • Competition (IDPA)
With the failing economy and rising home invasions and other robberies, home defense has become a major concern for many. There is no way I can ignore the increased dangers in today's society. Turn on the news and you will likely see reports of home invasions happening too close to your home. I have a wife and kids I love and want to protect very much. A home defense weapon is a necessity.

You never know where or when evil may be thrust upon you. You're not safe anytime or anywhere. Therefore, I have chosen to carry a concealed weapon. So the weapon I choose must be small enough to be concealable, yet hold enough ammunition to deal with a threat.

Let me be frank: Buying and owning a firearm is not enough. Training with that weapon is the only way you can gain the skills needed to effectively use that weapon when the shit hits the fan. Training schools are all over the country. Nothing can replace professional defense training and this is something I will do when funds permit. The next best thing is something that can be both beneficial to your gun-handling skills and entertaining! What is it? Practical defense competition. In my opinion, the best organization that provides realistic shooting scenarios is International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA). I'll be practicing/honing my shooting skills at my local IDPA club events as frequently as possible.

With these three factors in mind, there are still numerous options available. Of those, I have narrowed my choices down to the following three guns:
  1. Springfield XDm-9 3.8 Compact - 9mm
  2. Beretta Px-4 Storm Compact - 9mm
  3. Glock 19 - 9mm
Each of these has pros and cons so more research is needed. I won't make my final decision when the purchase will actually be made. Honestly, if today were the day I'd pick the XDm but I have about a month and a half to study these guns so who knows what my final decision will be? On to more research….

No comments:

Post a Comment